What is India Visa Application?
Government of India requires that all foreign nationals seeking an entry into India, submit an Indian Visa Application. This process of application filing can be done either by a physical visit to Indian embassy or by completing the India Visa Application online on this website.
The India Visa Application is the commencement of the process for getting an outcome for the India Visa decision. Indian Visa decision in vast majority of the cases is favourable for the applicants.
Who needs to complete India Visa Application?
Those visitors who are coming to India as visitors, or for commercial purposes or for medical treatment can submit and Indian Visa Application online and be considered for an entry into India. Completing the India Visa Application itself does not automatically grant entry into India.
The immigration officers appointed by the Government of India decide the outcome of the India Visa Application based on the information provided by the applicants and their internal background checks.
Travellers to India coming under one of the Visa Type described here need to complete India Visa Application.
Indian Visa Application online or eVisa India is available under these broad categories:
What information is required in the Indian Visa Application?
The form itself is quite straightforward and easy to complete in couple of minutes. There is information required from the applicants under the following major categories:
- Biographic details of the traveller.
- Relationship details.
- Passport details.
- Purpose of Visit.
- Past criminal history.
- Additional details are required depending on the type of visa.
- Face photograph and passport copy is asked after the payment has been made.
When should I complete India Visa Application?
You should complete the Indian Visa Application at least four days before your entry in India. Visa for India can take three to four days for approval, therefore it is ideal to apply 4 business day before entry into India.
How long does it take to complete Indian Visa Application?
India Visa Application take 3-5 minutes to complete before making an online payment. After the payment is complete, depending on the nationality of the applicant and the purpose of the Visit, the applicant may be asked for additional information.
This additional information is also completed in 2-3 minutes. If there is any issues in completing online application, you can contact Help Desk and Customer Support team on this website using the Contact Us link.
What are the pre-requisites or requirements for completing India Visa Application online?
a) Passport or nationality requirement:
You must belong to one of the eligible countries that are allowed by the Government of India to be eVisa India eligible.
b) Purpose requirement:
Another pre-requites of completing an India Visa Application online are coming for one of the following purposes:
- Visiting for the purposes of Tourism, Meeting Family and Friends, Yoga Programme, Sight Seeing, Short Term Volunteer work.
- Coming for Business and Commercial Trip, Sale and Purchase of Goods or Services, Conducting Tours, Attending Meetings, Trade Fairs, Seminars, Conference or any other Industrial, Commercial work.
- Medical treatment of self or acting as a Medical Attendant for the person undergoing treatment.
c) Other pre-requisites:
Other requirements prior to completing India Visa Application online are:
- A Passport that is valid for 6 months at the time of date of entry into India.
- A Passport that has two blank pages so that immigration officer can stamp it at the airport. Note, that the India Visa delivered after filling out India Visa Application online does not require you to visit Indian embassy for affixation of Visa stamp. Two blank pages are required at the airport for entry and exit stamp on your passport.
- A valid email id.
- A payment method like cheque, debit card, credit card or Paypal.
Can I file a group or family India Visa Application?
India Visa Application, irrespective of the mode of completion, whether it is online or at Indian Embassy, needs to be completed for each person separately regardless of their age. There is no group Indian Visa Application form available for online or offline method.
Please note that you have to apply for each person on their own passport, thus a new born also cannot travel on the passport of their parent or guardian.
What happens after completing Indian Visa Application?
When an Indian Visa Application has been submitted it undergoes processing at the Government of India facility. Travellers may be asked additional questions or clarification pertaining to their trip or they may be issued an Indian Visa without any additional clarifications.
Some of the common question asked relate to the purpose of the trip, place of stay, hotel or reference in India.
What is the difference between India Visa Online Application and Paper Application?
There is no difference between the two methods except for few minor differences.
- Indian Visa Application Online is only for a maximum stay of 180 days.
- Indian Visa Application Online filed for Tourist Visa is for a maximum of 5 years.
Indian Visa Application Online is allowed for the following purposes:
- Your trip is for recreation.
- Your trip is for sight-seeing.
- You are coming to meet family members and relatives.
- You are visiting India to meet friends.
- You are attending a Yoga Program/e.
- You are attending a course not exceeding 6 months in duration and a course that does not confer a degree or diploma certificate.
- You are coming a volunteer work for up to 1 month in duration.
- Purpose of your visit to set up an Industrial complex.
- You are coming to initiate, mediate, complete or continue with a business venture.
- Your visit is for selling an item or service or product in India.
- Your required a product or service from Indian and intending to purchase or procure or buy something from India.
- You want to engage in trading activity.
- You need to hire staff or manpower from India.
- You are attending exhibitions or trade fairs, trade shows, business summits or a business conference.
- You are acting as an expert or specialist for a new or ongoing project in India.
- You want to conduct tours in India.
- You have a lecure/s to deliver in your visit.
- You are coming for Medical Treatment or accompanying patient who is coming for a Medical treatment.
If the purpose of your trip is not one of the above then you should file a paper based, conventional Indian Visa Application which is more tedious and prolonged process.
What are the benefits of completing Indian Visa Application online?
The benefits of an Indian Visa Application online are the following:
- Visa is delivered by email electronically, hence the name eVisa (electronic Visa).
- Additional clarifications and questions are asked by email and do not require an interview at Indian Embassy or Consulate.
- Process is faster and completed in most cases in 72 hours.
Do you need to visit Indian embassy to after completing India Visa Application online?
No, you are not required to visit Indian Embassy or Indian High Commission after completing Indian Visa Application online.
The electronic Indian Visa that will be granted to you, will be recorded in the computer system. You are required to keep a soft copy on your phone or just in case your phone battery dies, it is worthwhile keeping a paper copy printout of your electronic Indian Visa or eVisa India. You can go to the airport after receiving an Indian eVisa.
How can payment be made for Indian Visa Application online?
There are more than 133 currencies accepted on this website. You can pay online, or by cheque in certain countries, by Debit Card, Credit Card or Paypal.
When should you NOT apply for an Indian Visa Application online?
There are circumstances where you qualify under both criteria but may still not be granted an eVisa India or Indian Online visa if the below applies to you.
- You are applying under a diplomatic passport instead of an ordinary passport.
- You are intending to do journalistic activities or make films in India.
- You are coming for preaching or missionary work.
- You are coming for long term visit over 180 days.
If any of the preceding applies to you then you should apply for a regular paper / conventional visa for India by visiting a nearest Indian Embassy / Consulate or Indian High Commission.
What are the limitations of India Visa Application online?
If you are qualified for an eVisa India and have decided to fill out an Indian Visa Application Online, then you need to be aware of the limitations.
- Indian Visa that will be delivered to you after completing India Visa Application Online or eVisa India Application is only available for only three durations for Tourist purposes, 30 Day, 1 Year and 5 years.
- India Visa Application online completed will provide you with a Business Visa for India that is for a single duration of 1 Year and multiple entry.
- Medical Visa obtained through Indian Visa Application Online or eVisa India is available for 60 days for Medical purposes. It allows three entries to India.
- India Visa Application Online which grants you an Indian eVisa, will be allowed on limited set of entry ports by air, 28 Airports and 5 seaports. If you are planning to visit Indian by road, then you should not apply for visa to India using this website using the India Visa Application online method.
- eVisa India acquired by completing Indian Visa Application online is not eligible for visiting military cantonment areas. You need to apply for Protected Area Permit and / or Restricted Area Permit.
Electronic Visa for India is the quickest way of getting an entry into India if you are planning a visit by cruise or air. If you belong to one of the 180 countries that are eVisa India eligible and stated intention matches as explain above, the you can apply for India Visa online on this website here.
Ensure that you have checked the eligibility for your India eVisa.
Please apply for a India Visa 4-7 days in advance of your flight.